ABOUT USTerms of Reference
The BC Simulation Network (BCSN) is a community of practice that provides British Columbia’s health care simulation centres, programs and enthusiasts with a forum in which to discuss and advance ideas at the intersection of health professions education, simulation practice, technologies, ongoing competency and delivery of health services. It provides an opportunity to share resources and align operations in an effort to improve access and use of simulation provincially. The BCSN collaborates to host the BCSimulation website and the BC Simulation Tracking Tool. In addition, the BCSN serves a collective voice for advocacy and the advancement of research and best practices in healthcare simulation. This network grew out of the Simulation Technology Working Group (STWG).
Membership is voluntary and open to any simulation centre, program or individual, and is supported by its members in a cooperative fashion. Membership is invited to voluntarily be listed on the BCSimulation website. Businesses that sell products/services to this community cannot be members.
The BCSN currently includes technology and/or clinical representatives from the following organizations:
- University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine
- University of British Columbia School of Nursing
- University of Northern British Columbia
- The Centre of Excellence for Simulation Education and Innovation (CESEI)
- BC Children’s Hospital and BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre
- University of Victoria (University Systems)
- Nanaimo Regional General Hospital Human Factors Lab and Simulation Program
- Vancouver Costal Health Authority
- Fraser Health Authority
- Interior Health Authority
- Nothern Health Authority
- Vancouver Island Health Authority
- Provincial Health Services Authority
- Vancouver Community College
- Camosun College
- Douglas College
- BC Lab Educator
- Stenberg College
- Langara College
- Thompson Rivers University
- Vancouver Island University
The BCSN is a community of practice and has no power in and of itself. The power lies within the group’s ability to potentiate each other’s work/programs in the field of healthcare simulation. Within the BCSN, sub-groups may be created as ongoing and/or ad-hoc in order to advance our shared work.
- The BCSN elects a Chair to facilitate monthly meetings. The term of the chair is one-year, and may be repeated. In addition to presiding over each meeting, the Chair facilitates members to present their own ideas at each session. They also lead the coordination of sub-groups.
- The BCSN appoints a Secretary or Secretaries to assist in drafting and distributing meeting agendas and minutes. The appointments are reviewed annually.
- Members are responsible for reviewing (monthly) and maintaining their program webpages within the BCSimulation website.
- Contact information for the Chair and Secretaries are posted on the BCSimulation website.
The BCSN posts its agendas, minutes and other documents on a google drive which members have access to.
The BCSN owns no physical resources. The funds to support the cost of web hosting are currently being generously supported by the Centre for Clinical Simulated Learning (CICSL).
- Meet monthly on the 4th Friday of each month
- Terms of reference are iterative and subject to yearly review on an as needed basis; are available for viewing on the BCSimulation website
- Network goals are reviewed yearly
- Agenda and minutes sent to Network members
- Agenda generated and circulated at least one week prior to the meeting by chair
- Recorder, creates and saves minutes